The cataclysmal information overload on weight/fat loss issues most often leaves people confused.
This is very logical because there are a lot of controversial ,ambiguous and conflicting tips,secrets and recipes on these matters.
There is a real war out there and the loot is the money of the deliberately misinformed,misguided and manipulated people.
Fitness imposters and charlatans try to outbid one another by giving groundless promises and trying to feed unrealistic expectations.
Weight/fat loss industry is a multi million industry and therefore it attracts many vultures and hyenas.
I strongly urge you not to fall prey to their mercenary motives!
There are no effortless solutions,no shortcuts,no magical secrets.
If there existed such methods all of us would be sylphids and models!But obviously we are not!!
Instead the problem of obesity is a real plague,an unprecedented menace for the developed western countries!
Am I right or not?
Am I exaggerating?
What really exists is solid knowledge,the power of our minds and the unshakeable faith of a strong character to achieve his wisely targeted weight/fat loss objectives! In this article I will try to give you my best knowledge on weight/fat loss issues. The rest remains for you.I hope you will honor yourselves
First and most important:work it in your mind!Mind dominates the body.Harness your mind ,make it identify itself with the big cause:weight/fat loss!
You cannot rinse down sins,bad habits and mistakes of many years in only one month,can you?
So learn to loathe all unrealistic pledges!Look the other way!
Keep in mind that you will need clever and consistent work.
For the first 2-3 months you will need a plan to work on.
The long-term goal will be the full detachment from plans and the adoption of a self-regulating,active lifestyle.This will happen after you can achieve full exploitation of the super-weapon called “mind”.
Though,until that time comes you will need to have a plan!
Ok then!We are ready to embark on the trip to weight/fat loss!
Let’s set together a both realis?ic and ambitious objective: to lose 0.5kg of fat/week
On first thought this target might appear quite modest!
Think it over! This meens a whopping 26 kilo per year!Any comments?
And what if I said you that in order to achieve this “modest” goal you will need to reduce your maintenance caloric intake by an impressive 22%?
This might probably change your view,eh!
Where does this 22% derive from?
I take 2500cal as a maintenance caloric intake for an average person.
0.5kg of fat is equivalent to 7700/2=3850cal/week or 550cal/day.
550 equals to 22% of 2500.
(I take 7700 and not 9000cal per kg of fat because human body fat contains water too.
Now please ponder over the promises/allegations of losing e.g. 1kg/ day!
To achieve this we would need to literally eat nothing and additionally burn- ?? a magic way ?-another 7700-2500=5200 cal!
It’s preposterous as exactly is the promise!
Let’s go to our plan now:we need to create a daily caloric deficit of 550 cal.
Since we are sane and mature people we forget all exotic solutions and turn to the solid facts.
We are going to use a combination of physical exersise and a diet regime.
To proceed only with a restrictive diet is not a clever strategy for the following reasons:
1. This caloric reduction is quite severe and practically difficult to follow for a long time.
2. We are going to lose a lot of valuable muscle mass and this is the last thing we need.What we really need is to improve our body composition by burning/losing fat and maintaining or- even better- increasing our precious muscle mass.
3. Our bodies will interpret this severe caloric resriction as a real menace for their existence and will try to react by reducing our metabolic rate and by activating our fat storage mechanisms.
These are very undesirable consequences indeed and will raise serious obstacles towards the completion of our mission.
For all the above reasons we will forget this option and adopt a plan which combines physical exercise with a mild and nutritionally sound caloric restriction.
Tips on nutrition
1. First thing ,you will need to create a mild caloric deficit of let’s say round 300cal/day.For this reason you will need to count calories- something I personally detest!
However there is no other way in this phase.
Later,and as you gain control you will be in the position to stop this boring to death habit
2. Second you will need to preserve your muscle mass. To achieve this you will need to receive 1.5-2gr of first quality protein per kg of weight. And this must come from real,unprocessed foods.No supplements,no nothing!Just plain,good food.
3. Finally you will need to support your immune system in this phase.
Consequently you will need big quantities of micronutrients.You should eat only the most nutritionally dense foods and forget every type of junk food.
I strongly advise you to read my article:”Fitness and nutrition:the big picture”
Tips on effective workouts
1. Depending on your level of fitness you should exercise at the maximum intensity you can comfortably tolerate.
2. You will need both strength training and an aerobic activity.
3. Five short mixed type workouts per week are advisable.These should last 30-35′ and burn about 400cal each.
I like very much total bodyweight workouts,HIIT and sprints.I have found them to be the best investment for my limited workout time
To get some powerful ideas please take a look at my following articles:
“The best outdoor workout ever” ( see how humble I am!) and…
“The most effective workout ever”(ditto!)
To your great health
Civil engineer with postgraduate studies in MBA and Marketing