You may not realize it but a simple bike riding can do many huge and good things to the environment. Let us enumerate some of them.
1. When you ride your bike, you help reduce air pollution. Unlike gas-powered vehicles, your bike does not emit smoke which is hazardous to human, animals, and the natural environment.
2. You help reduce the greenhouse effect. Ever wonder why it seems a bit hotter during summer than it used to be many years ago? It’s global warming. It is mainly caused by human activities such as driving motor vehicles which requires burning fossil fuels which creates heat. And, do not forget our ozone layer which is already damaged because of harmful smoke emitted by vehicles.
3. You help minimize water pollution because your bike does not drip brake fluid, anti-freeze, transmission fluid, and other harmful waste products that may go straight to our water resources.
4. You help lessen noise pollution through biking. Cars and motorcycles can be a real nuisance. Imagine a few hundred motor vehicles pass by your house every day; it can drive you crazy just by hearing all of those noises especially in an already-bad day. In biking, your ears can have a break and you can have inner peace as well.
5. Biking reduces animal road kill, as well. In the USA alone, 190 million motored vehicles hit the road every day, and an estimated one million animals unfortunately get hit. What a numbing fact! So, when you are in the habit of bike riding, surely PETA will love you!
With modernization and industrialization booming these days, Mother Nature surely needs all the help she could get. So help out, hop on your bike and be an instant eco-friendly citizen!